School Gateway

Hillbrook Primary School

Be Responsible · Be Resilient · Be Reflective

Hillbrook Y3 FC Match Report

Hillbrook Year 3 FC  1   -  1   Trinity  St. Mary’s Year 3 FC

Wednesday 27th March 2013 at 1.15pm


This was the first competitive match for Hillbrook Year 3 FC on Hillbrook’s ‘Field of Dreams’. It was a bright but breezy afternoon and the team were well warmed-up and raring to go come kick-off time. The formation was as follows:


                                                         Sameer          Sahara           Leo

                                   Olasupo (c)                          Najib                           Saad 

                                                           Sakib                                 Stephen

                                                          Subs: Angel, Joshua and Carmen

The team started the match with great energy and enthusiasm. Sahara led the defensive line very well and Najib was a source of determination and energy throughout the first half. With 5 minutes to go before half-time Sakib received a through ball from Najib on the edge of the penalty area. He turned, lined the shot up with his right foot and curled the ball beautifully into the far right hand corner of the goal. The crowd erupted with joy and Hillbrook FC went in at half-time 1-0 up.

Trinity St Mary’s made a crucial change at half-time and brought their goalkeeper out and in to midfield. His pace and skill made a huge difference to the complexion of the match and TSM spent a long time camped in Hillbrook’s half. Hillbrook defended resolutely but succumbed to the pressure with 10 minutes to go. A goal-kick failed to reach a safe distance and their star striker took the ball through and slammed the ball home past a helpless Tarun in goal. At 1-1 the game could have gone either way, and Hillbrook had the best chance to win it at the end with Stephen slamming the ball across the face of goal and just wide. Our substitutes all gave everything they had to the cause and were responsible for us not conceding any more goals in the second half.

The game ended 1-1 and it was probably a fair result in the end. It was played in the right spirit and with fantastic determination from both sides. Hillbrook Year 3 FC will be playing their second competitive game in the near future so look out for details soon. A massive thank you to Mr Newell for refereeing the game and Mr Casey for organising the fixture and setting up the pitch.